domestic cat

in english ... at least trying to be...


Börek with Pumpkin Filling


Börek is the word we use for (mostly) savoury pies in Turkish. It just did not sound right to call this as a "pie" , because it is not. The way it is prepared and baked is exactly like the savoury version which has courgettes, eggs and cheese as a filling. This one, however, is the most favourite baked dessert in our family. There is not a written recipe for it though.
Basically you need 5-6 sheets of phyllo, around 4 cups of thickly shredded (fresh) sweet pumpkin, around 1 cup coarsely ground walnuts, sugar according to your taste and cinnamon. A couple of tablespoons rice flour or semolina will work as thickening agent in our filling. Pumpkin tends to release its juices in the oven but 2-3 tablespoons of rice flour will help to absorb them. Just mix the ingredients and chill until use.

Grease a baking tray with a rim and heat your oven to 200 C degrees. Brush each phyllo with oil and place the prepared filling on the long side, along the edge. Roll the sheet and place in the tray. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets. You can prepare this börek and keep covered at room temperature for half a day, not more. Bake until the coulour reaches golden. Serve warm or at room temperature. Better to keep leftovers in the fridge and reheat when necessary.

This recipe is known to be made throughout the Thrace and Balkans. It suits any kind of meal of the day. Also with tea or coffee... enjoy!

8 Responses to “Börek with Pumpkin Filling”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yes I would love one (although I would accept two) with my tea tonight. Thanks so much!  

  2. # Blogger Pille

    This sounds really interesting and I'd like to try making it soon. I'm not sure our pumpkin is sweet enough (I cannot find butternut squash anywhere, just ordinary large winter pumpkins), but I'll report back!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hello Tanna, I would like very much to serve you myself someday:-) Thank you!

    Hi Pille, first of all welcome back to your homeland! I'm expecting more Estonian delights on your blog:-)
    For this recipe you will not need too sweet pumpkins. Just use the ordinary kind and add more sugar if necessary. The result does not have to be sweet as a cake anyway. I am afraid butternut squash will release even more juice, maybe it is better to skip it. I will be waiting for the report:-) Greetings  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh, wow! It looks perfect!

    Paz  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Thank you Paz! :-)  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Tülin, this is a truly interesting recipe. I remember that one day a nursing sister from Serbia brought a "strudel" very similar to your recipe. Thank you for sharing ! Greetings...  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I just posted my aubergine salad on my blog. ;-)

    Paz  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Great post Paz, thank you very much for trying it.Greetings  

Post a Comment


  domestic cat









© 2006 domestic cat | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.