
We have been growing raspberries in our garden in Ankara for many years but I never thought of using them to make vinegar, until I read "The Tales From the Fruit Tree" by Tijen İnaltong who is the author of well known, inspiring books about food, ingredients and their origins, in Turkish. The attempt of preparing vinegar was a first time experiment for me; so considering the fermentation time and all the patience you should muster for having a good result, I decided to make use of two fruits instead of one. It was late august and raspberry was still available in the market and the peach was at its best. I used small amounts for the beginning. The remains are still in the freezer and although their fruity taste slowly starts to sharpen and bite your tongue, peach vinegar still accompanies green salads very well and the raspberry one works almost as balsamic vinegar to decorate ripe cheeses and salads made of legumes. I could not get satisfactory information about their expiration date, since they are homemade and the acidity level is not balanced (and stabilized) by industrial methods. But I am sure that if you start with a small amount and keep the bottle in freezer after the first fermentation ends, their shelf life should be at least a year.
Raspberry vinegar
- 200 grs fresh raspberries, hulled
- 100 grs sugar
- 300 ml good quality white wine vinegar
- 2 big ripe peaches, peeled and stoned
- 200 grs sugar
- 500 ml good quality white wine vinegar

Very interesting post indeed. I will have to try this next summer. Do you really keep vinegar in the freezer ? I can imagine very well that the raspberry vinegar goes perfectly with cheese. Thank you for sharing ! Looking forward to more.... angelika
Hello Angelika, sorry for answering late, yes I am keeping them in freezer just in case. I just do not want them to go more sour at room temperature.
Welcome Paz, nice to see you here. I really hope you will like the result.Will you let me know? Thanks
I will try this next summer. We have lots of raspberries in Alaska, but no peaches!!!! I was given a salted homemade raspberry vinegar from Japan and now cannot visualize life without it. Thank you.
Wow! Its great to have a visitor from Alaska:-) It is a place I would like to visit someday. As for the vinegar; it is not salted of course but you may add yourself. Has a great taste really and you can change the acidity levek if you like by adding less sugar and more vinegar. Thanks a lot for visiting.
Tülin
I am also from Alaska. I am trying to find a good answer to shelf life as well. Thanks for your suggestions.