domestic cat

in english ... at least trying to be...



Risotto is one of our family's favourite foods. Although it suits very well with many vegetables and the members of the mushroom family; dried porcinis are the best companions of arborio rice. Many days has passed since the day I cooked this risotto. But the problems with internet connection has kept me from publishing the recipe. I used the water from the mushrooms because of its almost smoked taste but you can add red or rose wine to the liquid as well. The recipe serves 3, adjust it according to your needs.
  • 1 cup of arborio rice
  • 3-4 cups water
  • 10 grs dried porcini mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion
  • 5-6 sundried tomato halves
  • salt, freshly ground blackpepper
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan








Start by boiling the water, take it off the flame and leave dried mushrooms in the water for 30 minutes. In the meantime dice the onion and chop the tomatoes. After half an hour strain the mushrooms and cut the big ones in smaller pieces, also reheat the water and keep it in a low simmer. Sauteé onions in a pot with a little olive oil and add the rice before onions get translucent. After a couple of minutes add sundried tomatoes and the first cup of hot water. Keep the flame at medium and never close the lid. The liquid should be absorbed quickly. Add the spices and test the taste. Avoid too much salt, since parmesan has enough of it. Add the second cup of water and stir frequently with a wooden spatula. The whole process of cooking risotto should take 20-25 minutes, the rice should not dry-out and has the consistency of a thick porridge. After the second cup, continue with adding water in half-cups until the rice cooks al-dente with a little liquid in the pot. Take it off the flame and mix with parmesan, serve immediately with a nice, fume-flavoured white wine. Enjoy!

5 Responses to “Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms and Sundried Tomatoes”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Dear Tülin, I do not want to show up with my knowledge regarding the Italian cuisine ;-) but I have to assure you that you are a perfect risotto cook :-) That's the one and only way a risotto has to be cooked, and I always get upset about the fancy ways risotti are cooked nowadays, especially in cooking shows etc. Risotto is a culinary piece of art and it needs a lot of appreciation and time to prepare it, right ? I absolutely adore risotto (oh, another thing we have in common, how many else ? ;-) and I now I have a craving for it, have to make one on next weekend (and a refined version of the Linzercake as well...). Please do you know a way to enlarge my day up to 48 hours to fulfill my cooking plans ? Have a good and restful day and until soon, angelika  

  2. # Blogger BETUL

    Is it as delicious as our keskek Tulin ? Yours look soo profesional, it can make an Italians eyes watery :)  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Love risotto. Nice combinations  

  4. # Blogger evcilkedi

    Hi guys, sorry for the delay but I still have problems with my internet connection.
    Angelika of course you know better about the issue, regarding your love and experiences in italian cuisine and I look forward to eat one of yours:-)

    Betul, I must admit that I ate keskek only once in my life, from very good hands though. Then I decided it is better to eat meat and wheat seperately. But for the rice, I am always in!:-) Thanks for the compliment.

    Hello Bea, thank you, I had the chance to visit your blog and it is a nice combination of tastes and visions. Thanks for stopping by  

  5. # Blogger evcilkedi

    Dear Paz, believe me with the right ingredients, it is easy to make. My internet connection is terrible for the last ten days, hoping to have adsl back this week. Greetings:-)  

Post a Comment


  domestic cat









© 2006 domestic cat | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.