domestic cat

in english ... at least trying to be...


Fava


If you like fava beans (broad beans) you should give this a try, and if you do not; you are missing a taste from your life. Many people does not like them because of their smell. But to exclude fava beans just for that reason is unfair. After all, most of the vegetables which has antioxidant properties are smelling too... and we keep eating them. Fava beans are rich in valuable nutritients, vitamins and trace elements also low in calorie. Goes very well with olive oil, dill and a little sugar; just as the recipe below, one of the most traditional mezes (appetizer) of Turkish cuisine; called with the same name as it's main ingredient : Fava
  • 1 cup of dried fava beans
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 onion
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • a bunch of fresh dill
Start with putting the beans in cold water for 12 hours. If they have any dark membranes, they will come out easily after water bath. If they are already cleaned and has a sweet beige colour, it is better. Chop the onion and sauteé in olive oil until gets soft and transparent. Add water to boil. When the water is ready, add the beans along with the spices and sugar. Check the taste, a little sweetnes is essential and makes a good contrast with the bold taste of fava. Simmer until the beans are very soft and mushy. Open the lid for the water to evaporate if the amount is more than needed to reach pureé consistency. Using an immerse blender mash the contents of the pot and transfer to serving plate. If there are small parts remained; it is advisable to use a strainer; you would not want anything to spoil the creaminess of it. Decorate with dill leaves and drizzle with additional olive oil. Serve cold or at room temperature with a crusty bread and a glass of red wine.... enjoy!





7 Responses to “Fava”

  1. # Blogger Paz

    I've never had fava beans before. I'd like to try it. Thanks for the recipe. I like the photos!

    Paz  

  2. # Blogger Anne

    Oh, I bet that is really tasty! Fava beans are actually pretty much the one bean I do like! I've only had them fresh or frozen though, and only fresh are available here that I've found. But supposedly the dried ones are sold in some import stores - I have to look! :)  

  3. # Blogger evcilkedi

    Paz and Anne, thank you very much both of you. Quantities I have used are just for the beginners. I hope you would like the result and double the recipe. Anne, if you cannot find them just let me know. Thanks for the nice comments.  

  4. # Anonymous angelika

    That exactly looks like something I am always keen on - it can easily be prepared ahead and, above all, I always love spreads. Especially on roasted broad - and together with good quality olive oil (see my "10 favourite foods meme), that`s simply to die for ! I think I know what kind of bean it must be, but to make sure I will ask where I usually buy my vegetables at the market - they are Turkish people :-)At least sometimes life can very easy. Big hugs, angelika
    P.S.: Tülin, I love the yellow colour you have now chosen for your blog. Looks very "sunny" indeed !  

  5. # Blogger Pille

    I had fava on Santorini & Sifnos in 2002, and still remember the deliciousness of that simple dish! Will be back in Greece this June - will definitely look out for it again.  

  6. # Blogger evcilkedi

    Oh dear Pille, I should inform you about the difference between two favas. This one here is the Turkish one which is like a paté and made of broad beans. In Greece, fava is mostly cooked as a main dish and made from a kind of lentil, which is becoming like a puree when you boil them. The two dishes has remarkable difference in taste. Maybe I should put here the Greek version too but I do not think it is available
    everywhere. You are right, especially Santorini is famous with its fava. Why not to drop me a note when you will arrive? Greetings...  

  7. # Blogger Pille

    Ops, I'm all embarrassed now. I'm sure they're both delicious though..
    Once I know when I'm due to arrive in Greece exactly, I'll drop you a line!
    Pille (must ask my Turkish friends to make some proper Turkish fava!)  

Post a Comment


  domestic cat









© 2006 domestic cat | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.