domestic cat

in english ... at least trying to be...


Swiss Roll with Yeast


Really, why it is called "Swiss Roll"? Does anyone know? The origin is Switzerland maybe? I really do not know. In Turkey we call them just "roll" or "the log" when it is made with chestnuts inside.
This is a very old recipe, acquired from a neighbour 23 years ago. I was very young then, but breave enough to volunteer to try the recipe.It has a story of course, eaten one night in a house gathering, in beautiful city of Edirne which is next to the greek border; snow outside and a warm house with laughters.My dear friend Angelika surely would describe it better, just as she does with her sweet stories.
Well back to the cake... the yeast inside helps it to rise fully but does not effect the taste. Because of my obsession with the Black Forest cake, I usually made it with sour cherries but any kind of fruit is ok. Also any type of cream is ok to use, I used a sachet of chantilly here. If you prefer a sweeter filling, just do reduce the sugar inside the batter. If you want to make a darker cake, try adding 2-3 tablespoons of cacao and reduce the same amount of flour from the recipe. Sift together the dry ingredients before adding to the batter.

  • 4 eggs at room temperature
  • 125 grs of sugar
  • 75 grs of all purpose flour
  • 50grs of starch
  • vanilla sugar
  • 1 full teaspoon of dry yeast
for the filling
  • 1 sachet of cream chantilly
  • 1 cup of cold milk (240ml)
  • canned or fresh cherries (250grs)
  • shredded chocolate for garnish
Start by mixing the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar and flour each, then add a little amount of warm water to initiate the first rise. Separate the eggs and whip the whites in a very clean and dry bowl until stiff peaks form. In another mixing bowl, mix the yolks with three tablespoons of water, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour, starch and the yeast mixture. Slowly add 1/3 of the whites to the yolk mixture and mix well. Then add the remaining whites, mixing with your spatula very slowly. Do not mix much, small white pieces may remain, we do not want the batter to go off. In the meantime heat your oven to 200C. Place baking paper on the oven tray (mine was 34X40) and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar. It will prevent sticking. Pour the batter evenly on the paper and cook for 12-15 minutes in preheated oven.


Reverse the tray on a wet kitchen towel and peel off the baking paper. Roll the cake with the towel inside and allow to cool. You can prepare the cream now. I whipped the chantilly by adding a glass of cold milk.










If you are using canned fruit, strain them first and keep the juice. Open the cooled roll and sprinkle with the reserved juice. Apply the cream with a wide spatula, add the fruit (reserving some pieces for the topping) and roll again. Transfer the cake to the serving plate and apply a thin layer of cream outside , garnish with remaining fruit and chocolate granules. Our cake should stay in the fridge for a couple of hours for the right texture to develop. Before serving; cut thin slices from both edges for a better look and serve with your favourite cup of tea or coffee.I always prefer roiboos:-) Cover the remaining cake loosely with cling film. Enjoy!

6 Responses to “Swiss Roll with Yeast”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I am sorry I am first again, but this is just to show you how often I click your URL :-) Ooohh, YOU are so sweet, you make me blush when writing about how I (try to) write my foodie stories, with a full heart but sometimes a lack of words ;-) - but at the same time I enjoy reading about "a house of laughter" (How I can imagine !). We also know this roll in Austria, and we call it "Biscuit (sponge cake) Roulade". Usually it is filled with jam, but of course there are also fancy fillings like those shown and described by you. And I have never heard about using yeast in it, but this makes it a special recipe - YOUR own recipe connected with good memories. And that's the main point, right ? Warmest greeting from the 3 apples to all of you, angelika  

  2. # Blogger fethiye

    I have never heard of this recipe using yeast, and it sure made it to the recipe collection already. Thanks for giving detailed description Tulin! Definitely on my list now -- when I feel brave enough to try a roll recipe again.  

  3. # Blogger Anne

    This looks absolutely amazing! Rolls are a lot of fun - I'm building up courage to try again. I know they're not all that hard, but still, they're a little intimidating... :)  

  4. # Blogger BETUL

    Using yeast makes me one step closer to roulade..Plus sour cherries, plus choco..I think I am going to give it a try..  

  5. # Blogger evcilkedi

    Dear Angelika of course I know that you are my number one admirer, though I do not deserve it at all. I am waiting a roulade recipe from you:-)

    Come on Fethiye, you are making ammonia cakes(something I've never dared to do), this is much easier than that:-)

    Hello Anne, yes they are not difficult at all. This one is especially safe, give it a go with some nice lingonberry jam...

    Thank you Betül, you have a beautiful blog by the way.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I need to know where the swiss roll name came from  

Post a Comment


  domestic cat









© 2006 domestic cat | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.